Founded in the 18th century by the Gorce family, who gave it its original name, this great wine estate was producing one of the most highly regarded wines of the Medoc well before the 1855 classification. The high price of its wines gave the estate its rank at the top of the second classed growths. Sold in 1866 to the Roy family, who were also the owners of Château d’Issan, Brane continued to prosper, before it was bought by the Société des Grands Crus de France (a consortium of merchants and growers) in 1920.
In 1925, Léonce Récapet and his son-in-law François Lurton took over the whole of Brane- Cantenac and a majority share of Château Margaux. Lucien Lurton (the son of François) inherited Brane-Cantenac in 1956. By now one of Bordeaux’s most esteemed viticulturists, Lucien left ten estates to his ten children. Since 1992, his son Henri has held the reins.
The 15 hectares behind the chateau grounds make up the historic heart of the estate. The soils are sandy-gravel, with large pebbles. Replanting of vines in recent years has enabled optimal matching of grape variety and rootstock with the specific composition of these soils.