Château Léoville Poyferré
Léoville is located in Saint-Julien, 45 km north-west of Bordeaux, in the heart of the Médoc region. With origins dating back to 1638, Léoville was the largest vineyard in the Médoc region at the time of the French Revolution.
Léoville Poyferré springs from various divisions and successions in 1840. The outstanding quality of Léoville Poyferré wines was early recognized when it gained the rank of 2nd Growth in the 1855 classification.
Château Léoville Poyferré was acquired in 1920 by the Cuvelier family, winemerchants in Lille since 1804, who had first bought Château Le Crock (Cru Bourgeois Supérieur) in Saint Estèphe in 1903. In 1947, one of the partners from the North of France settled in Bordeaux and opened a second wine merchant business. His son, Didier Cuvelier, has continued to run the vineyard since 1979. Anne Cuvelier joined the family in 2005 and is in charge of PR and wine tourism.