Château Angélus’ name is derived from the very old plot of vines located there, where the vine workers could hear the angelus bells of the three neighbouring churches ringing at the same time. The bell on the Château Angélus label recalls the call to prayer and the moment of devotion. Less than a kilometre
from the famous Saint-Emilion bell tower, situated on the much-vaunted south-facing “foot of the hill”, Angélus has been the life work of eight generations of the Boüard de Laforest family.
At the end of the 18th century in 1782, Jean de Boüard de Laforest, a King’s bodyguard, settled in Saint-Emilion. Hubert de Boüard de Laforest took over in 1985 and was joined in 1987 by Jean-Bernard Grenié, then by Stéphanie de Boüard-Rivoal in 2012 and by Thierry Grenié de Boüard in 2016. The origins of the angelus peal and the associated prayer is often ascribed to a Papal order issued by Callistus III after Christian armies repelled the Turks on 21st July 1456. As a sign of thanks for divine intervention, all the bells in Christendom were to ring every day in the morning, at midday and in the
evening, calling people to prayer.
Jacques and Christian de Boüard de Laforest continued their father’s work and that of previous generations. They ran the estate until 1985, when Hubert de Boüard de Laforest took over and was joined in 1987 by Jean-Bernard Grenié, then by Stéphanie de Boüard-Rivoal in 2012 and by Thierry
Grenié de Boüard in 2016.
Recognised throughout the world as one of the major Bordeaux names, Château Angélus represents the devotion of a family and its team of professionals, focused on achieving excellence and highlighting the matchless nature of its terroir. Together, they combine their loyalty to traditional methods with continuously improving technology both in the vines and the cellar to get the very best out of each harvest and every vintage.